The projects aim to create viable and environmentally sustainable economies for indigenous Amazon communities, as an alternative to extractive industries, so they can remain as the stewards of the forests. Extractive industries have a long history of destruction and pollution in the Amazon, leaving a trail of devastation in its path from extraction to end product. Once an indigenous community has been disrupted by these industries, they are often left with no means to adjust to a new way of life and are unable to continue to live in their traditional way. Our projects support their culture, livelihood and self-determination. We develop lasting relationships and work in collaboration with artisans to ensure their needs are addressed, while we co-create beautiful designer and traditional collections of organic and handmade Amazon eco fashions and accessories for all of you to wear and enjoy.
- Assess a community’s strengths and traditional livelihood to jointly develop a sustainable industry based on their traditional artistry.
- Set up traditionally built facilities for artisans to have a place to develop and produce their goods.
- Work with indigenous Amazon artisans to develop products and open markets that generate a sustainable economy for the communities, while protecting their culture and rainforests.
- Design and develop products based on their traditional arts and local materials.
- Train in quality and production to ensure consistency.
- Train in business and marketing to run their own businesses independently.
- Train in computer and internet.
- Supply communities with materials, laptops, internet, electricity through sustainable sources, etc., where needed and available.
- Fund production of goods.
- Connect with luxury markets and designers looking to source the artisans’ work for their collections.
- Exhibit and sell collections and traditional goods through wholesale and our online Shop.
- Pay artisans a fair wage for samples and production of goods, as well as share 50% of profits from the sale of goods (after all costs and expenses) with producing communities to use in varied ways through projects that enhance their livelihood, while maintaining their cultural identity.
- Ensure artisans and youth continue cultivating their arts and culture.
- Promote the protection of indigenous Amazon culture and the rainforest within the communities, domestically and abroad.
- Share sustainable solutions that harmonize with indigenous Amazon culture to enhance their way of life and address a community’s needs: electricity, drinking water, education, building techniques, communication technology, etc.
Browse the rest of our website for more about our work, the artisans, mission, eco jewelry, news, watch videos and visit our shop to start shopping. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Pinterest.
Subscribe to our mailing list and receive 30% off on your first purchase.
To contribute to the projects visit www.amazonwatch.org and donate any amount
in Additional Comments write “VIOLETA’S AMAZON PROJECT”
Send a tax-deductible contribution to Amazon Watch 2201 Broadway, Suite 508, Oakland, CA 94612 and
write “VIOLETA’S AMAZON PROJECT” on memo.
Send us a message with your information, so we can track your contribution. Thank you!
Amazon Watch is a tax-exempt, non-profit organization under section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations made to Amazon Watch are tax-deductible
to the full extent allowed by law.